::fibreculture:: language and the internet

jOhn pace earthplod at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 12:53:32 EST 2003

been quiet in here...

# There are 6,800 known languages spoken in the world's 191
countries.
# 2,261 have writing systems.
# Only 260 are represented by on-line dictionaries.

http://www.comminit.com/BaseLine2003/sld-8003.html

i was surprised it was as many as 260...

and i just caught the end of a story about McDonalds stores being the next
telstra wi-fi "hot-spots" --- what does that mean in the great mish-mash
(hash-brown) of commodified communication? i recall someone's mum once
saying (to me and my pal) that a young man should get into either the food
or textiles industries because people will always need clothes and food ---
now it seems talk is certainly a third candidate --- i might jump the market
though, and get into air quality futures -- oh someone's already done
that...

...best...jOhn...