::fibreculture:: Fwd: Small Black Box, 31 August, Artist interview

mollybh at netspace.net.au mollybh at netspace.net.au
Sat Aug 30 15:23:57 EST 2003

----- Forwarded message from Small Black Box <info at smallblackbox.com.au> -----
    Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:15:18 +1000
    From: Small Black Box <info at smallblackbox.com.au>
 Subject: Small Black Box, 31 August, Artist interview
      To: info at smallblackbox.com.au

------------------------------
SMALL BLACK BOX
------------------------------
Sunday 31 August 2003, 7-10pm
Institute of Modern Art, Screening Room
420 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane
(entry via Berwick Street)
All ages - Entry $7
THIS SUNDAY
Toy Satellite (Melbourne)
Rene Wooller
Phuquelica

Small Black Box reviewer, Luke Jaaniste, wrote in last month's SBB
program: ..."in general, we could say that the noise/digital sound practice of
the last 10 years (at least!) has ridden on the back of trying to break, abuse
or generally misuse software and electronics, taking standard musical tools
into areas its was never intended to go"...

This Sunday's artists will each be showcasing different incarnations of
musical technology, and different methods of performing with these chosen
technologies. QUT students Phuquelica explore the edges of experimental
industrial music with standard manufacture looping devices; Melbourne's Toy
Satellite create deeply affecting "travelogues of sound" through Koan
software; and Rene Wooller has been developing his own Live Electronic Music
software (LEMu) through a branch of the popular web Java software called
jMusic. We asked Rene Wooller and Toy Satellite's Andrew Garton their opinions
on the customisation and 'use and abuse' of software/hardware technology.

Do you feel that you are using your chosen hardware/software how it was
intended? If not, what modifications have you made to readily available
hardware/software, or how are you using it differently?

Rene Wooller
The computer itself is designed primarily for word processing. Java is
designed primarily for web-friendly applications. jMusic is designed, using
Java, as a toolkit for musicians interested in software. LEMu is designed for
realtime performance and improvisation. The Doepfer MIDI controller is hardly
designed and nor am I, being the result of an ancient random process of
incremental adaption. I'm using the controller to change parameters in LEMu,
which I built using jMusic, which used Java, which is running on my laptop
that was designed as a word processor.
Because I spend most of my creative time coding LEMu rather than using it, one
could say that I'm using this word processing technology in the way that it
was intended. I have also made many modifications to jMusic, and extended java
to make my own libraries. Am I using it differently? It seems that all this
(including LEMu) is intended to be used differently. So by using it
differently, I'm sort of acting in a way that was intended.

Andrew Garton
I don't necessarily customise the software I use, but I have been known to
apply systems to them that had not necessarily been considered by the original
software authors. For instance, the first application I had found for Koan was
the realisation of compositional ideas that had been haunting me since the
early 80s. The idea was to compose by commencing at a cluster of notes,
determined by a simple rule, then shifting them as chords across a grid,
following the same rule, a progression would result forming the basis of a
composition that one could draw an arrangement from by scanning across the
grid in a myriad of ways. Koan enabled me to realise many more new works with
this system much faster than I could chart it up. My first album, Age to
Wonder At, was largely based on these techniques.

How do these 'customisations' feature in your performances? Why are they
necessary?

Rene Wooller
The computer is so limited at the moment. The potential of it is incredible,
but we really haven't touched upon a millionth of that. The main problems that
I have with the computer is that it is harder to create a truly spontaneous,
yet aesthetically rewarding performance on it. All of my projects are
dedicated to overcoming this obstacle.
It's quite hard, because there is always room for improvement. And then there
is the whole argument about what is spontaneous. I feel that music is
fundamentally simple - human expression. At times, simply due to lack of
refinement or preoccupation, the technology can hamper that expression. (I
guess the counter to this would be that technology is fundamental to human
nature). I'm trying to refine the technology to allow human expression to more
easily reflect through it. This philosophy is why I find writing and using
custom performance software a necessary part of my creative process.

Andrew Garton
The 'systems' i use vary from software to software and they do indeed feature
in our performances. More recently the use of Global Positioning System data,
as a spacial reference, that influences a narrow range of harmonic, tempo and
timbre qualities of a synthesised piece, again realised via Koan. They are
necessary to ensure the integrity of the original idea, of the original
composition is sustained through the life of the work.

Do you believe in a clear division between instrument designer and musical
performer?

Rene Wooller
Do I believe there should be a clear division? I don't really care - people
will usually do what they find most engaging. Do I believe the division
exists? Yes, in many people it does. I think there are more people becoming
both, though... Maybe I just have that view because of the people I've been
interacting with over the last few years!

Andrew Garton
Yes and no... I believe there are factors in the composition and performance
of works that can influence instrument designers, and visa versa. My
preference would be to collaborate with software/instrument makers where both
parties work together, influencing each other towards a common outcome, or
better still, an outcome that may yet to be conceived until the
design/development process is well under way.

NOTE - The IMA's sound art series "Particle Moves" finishes tomorrow (Saturday
30 August). Works by Ed Osborn & Elision Ensemble, Low Key & Nude, and Andrew
Kettle. Screen works by Scanner & Matiasek, I/O + Rebecca Nissen, Lloyd
Barrett, and Philip Brophy. http://www.ima.org.au

----- End forwarded message -----