::fibreculture:: WebCT, Open Source and Beyond

Ned Rossiter n.rossiter at ulster.ac.uk
Tue Aug 9 08:51:46 EST 2005

hi Andrew -- very good to hear this list hasn't completely bitten the
dust!  There's a bit of a classic critique of Web-CT (in passing) -
which I expect you know - by Noble:

Noble, David. F. ‘Digital Diploma Mills: The Automation of Higher
Education’, First Monday 3.1 (1998).  Available from: http://
www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue3_1/noble/

And Helen Merrick and Michele Willson have the other excellent
critique in the fc reader. (We've got to get that book online -- a
case of missing pdf's I fear...)

Feenberg is also worth a read:

Feenberg, Andrew. ‘The Factory or the City: Which Model for Online
Education?’, in Critical Theory of Technology, 2nd ed. (Oxford:
Oxford University Press, 2001).  Available from: http://
commons.somewhere.com/rre/2002/RRE.Critical.Theory.of.T.html

It's amazing to hear that such a crappy software package is still
being peddled so hard. Aside from the raft of pedagogical/techno-
cultural issues, that says a lot about the kind of debt economies
uni's have bought themselves into with licensed software. (ie, it's
not just a year by year kind of review - does that happen, seriously,
in uni's anywhere? - but rather a commitment to a package for "x"
years.)

I get a bit of a similar sense when I hear of various creative
economy endeavors such as NESTA's Futurelab projects in the UK
<http://www.nesta.org.uk/insidenesta/hwf_futurelab.html>, which fund
"partnerships" b/w govt, businesses, schools/unis/techs & teachers/
students to develop educational software applications. The point I
find unclear is where the IP lies.  The nasty scenario easily
envisaged is a case where the developers of software (students/
teachers) end up having to pay license fees for software they
developed (to say nothing of other educational institutions).

on a positive note, it seems that CC licenses and open source are, in
many instances, becoming a norm in uni's (forget about any critique
on that count though).

Ned