::fibreculture:: WebCT, Open Source and Beyond

Anna Munster a.munster at unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 9 14:38:41 EST 2005

Julian - your point below:
> i think there are some pragmatic problems/issues in using FOSS in
> teaching environments in that a lot of FOSS is very 'alpha' and
> unstable...

don't you think that in choosing to steer students away from the
"unstable" you are also making certain assumptions about what you want
as your learning outcomes from them?

What if instead of wanting them to be good "users" you are trying to
assist students in dealing with a very unstable, mobile and alpha world
(ie the contemporary life we all lead outside of protected proprietary
bubbles) in which they will constantly have to encounter changes in
software, crashes breakdowns of communications services, outages etc.

My problem with WebCT is not just the fact that one has to pay for it
but that it comes with a whole set of assumptions about the world -ie
it's enclosed, it is a space in which one monitors and is monitored, it
draws strict bounds etc.

Sure a lot of FLOSS is not useable but a lot is. And the arguments
about WebCT vs using other things ie blogs, wikis etc in universities
is increasingly centred around the issue of IP as Ned states.

However IP is a very complex issue - it is not just about who
financially owns the knowledge produced but how the knowledge is
associated with the overall image of the institution and who owns and
has access to that image/branding. So, one of the  issues around use of
web-based tools in the university classroom and also by staff (rather
than the use of intranets such as WebCT) has to do with the ways in
which students and/or staff 'speak" for the university in spaces that
the institution cannot directly  monitor and control.

Believe me this is not Big Brother paranoia. Right now a key debate at
UNSW is about whether staff are going to be allowed to identify
themselves as staff AND publicly speak (including on their blogs) in
areas deemed outside their expertise. (whatever that means - presumably
that one is not supposed to be a uni staff member and have opinions)

Blogs and the like are deemed by university management as unruly and
potentially damaging to the professional image of the university. IP is
as much about IMAGE property as it is about intellectual property and
the debate about what software to use in the tertiary sector is very
much imbricated with the question of image.

cheers
anna

Dr. Anna Munster
Senior Lecturer