::fibreculture:: But where are the big, major crits of WebCT and proprietary software and systems in education?

ian h ian at ianhobbs.net
Tue Aug 9 16:24:58 EST 2005

Hello,

I've used Web CT and Blackboard. I'm using Blackboard extensively now.
I could go into a million reasons why I'm using
Blackboard. But my 2 cents. Web Ct is a bastard system and Blackboard
is infinitely better.
The top ten of  Why do I use it ? ( Blackboard )

1/ Centralised management of course content.
2/ Management of student submissions and assessment workflow's
3/ Automation of marking and assessment
4/ Detailed analysis of student usage, time of usage and accessed
material.
5/ Student directed class Project management through the use of
communication and forums
6/ Comprehensive communication possibilities.
7/ Web based referencing
8/ Open and peer based learning tools and frameworks
9/ Customisable interface and graphic identity possibilities
10/ it's easy to use ( could be in number 1 spot )

I really can't imagine why someone would refuse to use (BB) and
completely agree with someone who would refuse to use Web CT.

On Tama's critique of WebCT.

Surveillance: Surveillance can work both ways. I used the data logging
in a recent class project openly as we were using the data to reflect
on the effectiveness of web and forum based management methodologies.
We came up with some nice data from that. We then developed some
theories and practices to enhance the learning potential. Also, tested
some theses on group behaviour.

I was concerned about one students engagement with the unit in class,
on checking the web stats I saw that the student was using the web
content extensively, clearly someone who was not comfortable engaging
in a social setting. Her work and and commitment was of a high
standard. But she never demonstrated that in class. (Which brings up
Gardeners multiple intelligence's work) I don't buy the surveillance
argument at all. Data is data - use it or loose it, depends on how you
want to wrap the class.

Some of the Nesta material looks excellent. Clearly there is a high end
investment through corporates like HP etc.
( see Savannah on Futurelab ) Which are enabling educational and
technology frameworks which would cost tens of thousands of dollars in
development. Clearly out of reach without Nesta type initiatives.
Proprietary vs. Open source depends on local conditions. Do you have
gifted, visionary and friendly IT support?

Ian Hobbs
University of Newcastle

tel  : 02 98100509
mobile : 0411032601
skype : ianhobbs

http://ianhobbs.net

(PS... Some of my peers have trouble with excel spreadsheets. I
wouldn't insist that they use anything with a keyboard )