::fibreculture:: WebCT, Open Source and Beyond

Karen Woo kwoops at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:19:29 EST 2005

I'd like to pick up on Julian's point about how people's experiences
with a piece of software can be so different. I teach an elementary
webpage construction course for second year and mature-age Education
students. We had 3 software packages in mind - Dreamweaver, FrontPage
and Composer.

Dreamweaver was quickly ruled out because of the cost to the lab, as
well as the fact that we don't expect our students (as teachers) to be
using the tool professionally later.

Then we chose FrontPage because it's more "user-friendly" and it came as
part of Microsoft Office. We used it for 1 semester. However, it got
separated from the rest of Office in 2003 and many students complained
about the lack of access to software at home. I also didn't like
FrontPage because it automates many processes (like saving files with
special characters) that causes problems for students later on.

So finally we went back to Composer. Students managed, though admittedly
Composer scares more students than FrontPage - but many complained how
limited it was, and I think the most classic complaint was that a
student actually went to a bookshop and couldn't find a book on how to
use Composer. So for the final assignment, out of the 100 students, 1
used Dreamweaver (30days trial) instead, about 8 used FrontPage, and the
rest used Composer.

Now we don't teach webpage constructions anymore, but looking back I
think Composer's still the best choice because it provided the platform
for students to learn the basics and empowered them to use any software
they like in the future. Plus, it fits well with the economical
considerations we and our students anticipate to have.

In regards to WebCT and FOSS, I think the scale of the software makes
our questions quite different. The assumption that we can have one size
fit all for all disciplines is the key concern. However, whilst I
support FOSS for teaching and learning, I think at its current state, it
is not good enough to ensure security, stable access for the more basic
functions needed to run distance ed. But as Chris said, the picture
would be quite different if the same resources we poured into other LMSs
are poured into FOSS. Though I do wonder how that would change the
developments of FOSS, because instead of favoring the departments strong
in funding, it's going to favor the departments strong in technical
expertise.

Karen