::fibreculture:: Re: posting guidelines

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Aug 25 14:21:47 EST 2005

Hello fibreculture folk

(With respect and goodwill towards all fibreculture people)

Having been a member for four years or so, in my opinion
the fibreculture list has been a failure for much of this time.

Please note, I say this with disappointment, but, because of
the lack of emails. It's probably the slowest list of the many
lists I for one subscribe to, and I believe that's a real shame.

Today Ingrid posts the list "posting guidelines" which advise
"consider replying to the original sender off-list" and further,
"The following kinds of posts are not suited for :fibreculture:
Announcements, Flames, Unannotated URLs, Fiction, Long
academic papers, Text-art, One-liners (unless *really* funny
or insightful) and Promotional material" and also, "we rely on
subscribers following these guidelines to keep the list dynamic
and active .."

Seems to me that "dynamic and active" is exactly what this list
isn't. So, why urge people to reply off-list? Why urge members
not to send material such as that listed above?  Indeed, some of
the most insightfull and interesting posts on other mail lists have
been exactly those items claimed as 'not suitable' for fibreculture.

So, being a bad-boy, and wanting our fibreculture to be remotely
relevant to anything, I say, post away .. all your announcements
and fiction, all your one-liners and academic papers. Indeed one
hopes that I get flamed at nuclear temperatures for this post. At
least it will provide some, "proof of life" for our fibreculture list.

Cheers, people
Stephen Loosley
Melburbs, Aussie.