::fibreculture:: Re: posting guidelines

dan at possumpalace.org dan at possumpalace.org
Tue Aug 30 12:50:27 EST 2005

just thinking about strategies to address the "information overload" we all
seem to be in the throes of. Maybe old-school mailing lists are getting past
their useby datem like the Usenet they replaced?

There's also something to be said for hybrids of lists and forums - sites
where the forum discussions are mirrored in the mailing lists and vice
verse. This allows a diversity of dynamics, and means of accessing. One
list/forum which does this is drupalart http://www.drupalart.org/ - if their
list hypothetically reaches high volume, rather than accessing it as email,
you can read it using information aggregating tools such as RSS. Email lists
aren't nearly as susceptible to automatic information aggregation. whcih is
why I file most of them is the "read in the improbable future" mailbox.
Present company excepted, of course. drupalart, however, I can get an
aotmatically summarised and updated version of it to skim, any time, AND it
doesn't clog my inbox.

---dan()

*Somaya Langley <SLangley at nla.gov.au> then said*