[mscp] paper on David Lynch, psychoanalysis, Deleuze this Friday

matthew sharpe mjoelsharpe at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 29 22:09:59 EST 2005

Dear listmembers,

tehre is a paper on philosophy, psychlanalysis and
film that may be of interest to MSCP listmembers.

The paper is

Silencio: On David Lynch's
Mulholland Drive.

Dr Robert Sinnerbrink, Macquarie University,
Philosophy Dept

The seminar will take place at Deakin
International, Level 6/601 Bourke Street, Melbourne,
9.30-11.00.

Please see the abstract below.

regards,

Matthew

*************

Silencio: On David Lynch's
Mulholland Drive.

The enigmatic films of David Lynch have been
interpreted from a variety of perspectives. Among
these we can find Lynch the postmodernist ironist,
Lynch the transgressive neo-conservative, and Lynch
the visionary explorer of the unconscious. Martha
Nochimson, for example, presents an eloquent case for
regarding Lynch as a Jungian ‘surfer of the waves of
the collective unconscious,’ whose films combine the
intuitive embracing of subconscious Life Energy with a
celebration of the creative power of Hollywood
mythology. Against Nochimson’s ‘New Age’ Lynch, Slavoj
Zizek has argued that Lynch’s films can be said to
expose the subject’s ‘fundamental fantasy’: the
‘ultimate, proto-transcendental framework of my
desiring which, precisely as such, remains
inaccessible to my subjective grasp’. In critical
dialogue with Zizek, I want to suggest that Lynch can
be regarded as a cinematic philosopher-artist,
presenting thought through sound and image (‘ideas,’
to use Lynch’s term). I explore this thesis by
interpreting Lynch’s Mulholland Drive, a film that we
can ‘understand’ by being attentive to not only to its
complex narrative structure, but also to the
aesthetic, even metaphysical role of Lynchian
‘cinematic Ideas’.

Dr Matthew Sharpe
Deakin University
School of Social and International Studies
Centre for Psychoanalytc Studies
msharpe at deakin.edu.au

http://au.movies.yahoo.com