[tof] AFC strand O may be axed!!

tof at lists.culture2.org tof at lists.culture2.org
Wed Apr 27 12:31:29 EST 2005

Dear Toflisters

These are interesting questions that have been going around about the
AFC's plans, and I think will require some more consideration.

I have had some brief conversations with some ASDA members about this
proposal re strand O and there is clearly concern about this change.

There is no doubt that Strand O is beginning to look more and more
like the FFC's innovation fund. And of course, John Hughes is right -
the more we move into the digital realm the more that filmmakers are
going to see themselves as having to be across all 'screen
production' formats - be they narrative or interactive or a
combination of both.

However, the fact of the matter is that there has not been any
opportunity for SADC to properly analyse the implications of Strand O
being used to continue interactive financing.

The feeling that I get from members is a concern that the
interactive/broadband area will be drawing money from an already
depleted doco pot - particularly given that doco did not get any of
the recent additional Government funding for the AFC. The broadband
fund so far has been a discrete pot of money from Govt, and perhaps
it should be kept as such so that the AFC can go back and argue for
more to continue the work in this arena.

But if  the AFC was to do what the FFC has done and allow all
features to be equally able to apply for funding in the feature
production strand (live-action drama, animation, doco as well as
hybrids) perhaps this would offset any change to Strand O, and really
allow interesting, different docos to come through - and encourage
diversity and innovation across the slate.

At this stage we are simply going in to talk to the AFC to see what
their thinking is and following this we will have to put together a
coherent response about our views - both about the specifics and also
what we see as the AFC's general direction and the most effective
approaches to development.

Regards
--
Richard Harris