[tof] Re: Strand O thoughts

tof at lists.culture2.org tof at lists.culture2.org
Wed Apr 27 18:52:02 EST 2005

Interesting to read the various ideas and responses to this policy decision
from the AFC. There is merit in so much of what everyone has said.

We are all fighting over the same pot of money and it is important to not
say one form (documentary) is more vital or valuable than another
(interactive).

It seems that Strand O has been problematic for the AFC for sometime. Maybe
for survival reasons we as an industry have been steered toward making
programs that suit broadcaster needs. Fewer and fewer people are making
programs which challenge the language of documentary. This to me seemed the
original intention behind Strand O Guidelines.

Would it be possible to simply divert the funding earmarked for Strand O
into documentary production Strand N and include in the guidelines the
possibility of funding 1 (or more) program(s) at a higher level. After all
most Strand O projects still seek additional funding ie (Jade Babe's budget
was higher than the Strand O elements).This then opens up room for people to
think beyond the square but does not lock the money into a 'strand O type
project' if nothing suitable is submitted. It can potentially make more
funds available for documentary production and the guidelines should be open
enough to include interactivity.

I personally think there is a difference between the FFC's Innovation fund
and AFC's Strand O. I would expect the FFC is hoping for a project that is
going to succeed in the marketplace. I would have thought the AFC's agenda
is different. It is more about career & professional devt and in the case of
Strand O it was about providing experienced practitioners with the
opportunity to pursue a personal project without the constraints of the
marketplace.

I hope we can keep the guidelines of both agencies as different as possible
because if they blur then sooner or later one will go.

I would recommend that SADC ask to discuss with the AFC asap.

Sally Ingleton