::fibreculture:: internet archives

Tom Worthington tomw99 at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 11 10:00:26 EST 2003

At 9/08/03 11:05, Ned Rossiter wrote:
>... the Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/
>
>And I was wondering if anyone out there is doing internet archaelogy work. ...

There is also the National Library of Australia's Pandora Archive
<http://pandora.nla.gov.au/>. This has much less in it, but is orientated
to Australian culture and indexed by topic.

I turned to Pandora when SOCOG deleted the Sydney Olympic web site. That
was after SOCOG had been found to have engaged in unlawful conduct by
providing a web site which was to a significant extent inaccessible to the
blind <http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/bat2001.html#maguire>.

The Internet Archive is handy when the particular version of a web site
disappears. As an example in a web design course I ask ANU students to do
an analysis of the Athens Olympics web site, as it appeared on a particular
day.

Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
Publications Director, Australian Computer Society