::fibreculture:: Natalie Jeremijenko on technology, art and knowledge

debandmat debandmat at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 15 00:23:50 EST 2003

Dear Chris, Terry and Fibreculture,

> the articulation of an open participatory politics of the future will not
only operate through discourse,
> but through engineering itself.

In my mind what made these works powerful was their abilty to deploy both
discourse and engineering in a way that fundamentally altered the
potentialities of both. For me the projects were an intervention in the
configurative potential of the discourses and technologies which they
deployed- they were a playful interconnection of an otherwise distinct and
overdetermined technics - a techno-discursive fight against the
overdetermination of meaning and application. (embedding history in
devices -rehistoricizing technology - struck me as particularly powerful)

What struck me was how productive (rather than creative) the projects were.
They were productive of new knowledges not because they offered creative
representations or because they, in themselves, illustrated the
aforementioned over-determinations but because their reconfiguration of
technology and discourse elicited a field of potential becoming that was
dynamic and heterogenous. The result is what Brian Massumi has called
elicited and involuntary.....

At this stage I can only see this as the expression of a revolutionary
politics because it works against determined outcomes and preconceived
applications........ to paraphrase Natalie - how many goverments,
institutions, and schools of thought are today structured and financed to
devote time to that what has been historically a most profitable scientific
practice, that is, to 'see what you are not looking for' - to suspend agency
in the hope of vivifying unforseen potential which may in turn yeild
un-realized truths  prostheticizing our engagement with the world in new
ways?  The arts is the place for this because the mode of engagment is
critical and participatory and because it is a field where indeterminate
outcomes are currently tolerated (fly under the radar).

There is much more to be said here..... I hope someone (else) is interested.

Thanks,

Mat Wall-Smith
(your humble sandwich hand tentatively delurking)