::fibreculture:: Natalie Jeremijenko on technology, art and knowledge

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Aug 15 09:03:50 EST 2003

Terry, good points...

We just had Anna Munster and Lisa Grocott over for a workshop on Creative
Practice as Research discussing some of these issues. I'll post to announce
when the materials are online, but in the interim here's a few points:

1) "I don't know much about creativity or innovation, but I know what I
like." As you allude to, we're really talking about finding institutional
languages that can support certain kinds of activities. The work of the
historians of science on what constitutes "research" or "science" shows that
there are people who own the terminology, and use that ownership to control
financial and social resources. The focus, then is on defining what *isn't*
research/science/innovation so you can tell people to go and find their
money somewhere else.

Over time, new definitions become accepted - e.g. in New Zealand's Ministry
of Education's research definition the creative arts are accepted as valid
embodiments of research processes - yet other government agencies still have
a hard time getting their heads around cultural studies as a valid area of
research (which relates to the NSW secondary curriculum restructuring, but
that's another list discussion). The focus on "creativity" in a range of
disciplines seems to be giving research funders sleepless nights.
Potentially good times for the creative sector.

2) If we look at the dissemination of, say, fashion, I think it calls into
question the traditional notion of research as adding to an accumulating
body of knowledge. When NYC street fashion is embedded in music TV and finds
a home on the streets of South Auckland, we're talking about a significant
contribution to the fashion field, which instantly affects how producers in
that field conceive of their discipline. But Auckland fashion innnovators
haven't waited for fashion scholars to write about it and publish it in a
peer-reviewed creative industries journal. So is "knowledge" embedded in the
music video, and if so how do we review it? My personal view is that the
definitions of research need to be expanded to include "additions to the sum
of human knowledge *and experience*". Substantially novel experiences may
not be able to be codified as "knowledge" in its typically textual form, but
nevertheless they can be exchanged and they definitely play a major role in
defining the field in the creative disciplines.

3) How do you peer-review (or in the NZ terminology, "Quality Assure")
creative outputs? Most of the mechanisms I've seen in areas like e.g. design
are pretty shoddy and use competitions or exhibitions as evidence of
contribution to the field. But anyone working in the fields knows that
"award winning" work is not always the most influential. There's also a
funny mixing of reception for creative outputs, with unclear distinctions
between professional audiences and end users.... perhaps there's something
in Lash's discussions on reflexive accumulation and identity construction
which can help us here?, not sure....

cheers

x.d

--