::fibreculture:: Natalie Jeremijenko on technology, art and knowledge

Anna Munster a.munster at unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 15 16:56:17 EST 2003

For what it's worth - my take on Natalie J's talk was slightly different. Her
focus was not on the term creativity at all. In fact she mentioned that she
found the term perjorative and was one that techno-corporate types tended to
hand out to her when they thought she was doing something totally off the air!
This is an interesting geo-economic point, given that the notion of creative
industries is not so much parlance in the US because I suppose the third way
policies have not been taken up at industries levels there.
In fact, Natalie's talk was, I thought, posing the question - can art produce
knowledge that may make truth claims? Her argument, that it could, rested upon
an idea that by producing  knowledge through open source structures of
participation and interaction that operated within everyday visual culture it
would be possible to contribute to a broadening of the knowledge base.  What
artists do then is to produce cultural knowledge that exists within a broadened
field of visual literacy opening the 'closed world' of the 'scientific'
knowledge base produced by the military-industrial complex.

I found this argument really interesting because in fact it moved away from
concepts of both creativity and innovation into the empirical world. Granted it
is a radically different kind of empiricism being put forward here. But it's a
bold move to propose that cultural production can lead to facts (although of
course she is not the first to suggest this - latour, stengers, deleuze etc).
But her talk was one of the best cases argued from the point of view of arts
production,
cheers anna