::fibreculture:: Re: WebCT, Open Source and Beyond

Peter Morse pmorse at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Aug 11 10:46:45 EST 2005

This is a very interesting discussion: I've been pushing the use of
FOSS within my dept. for a number of years now - mainly because we're
cash-strapped, but also as a legitimate alternative to proprietary
software - the price is right, the standards are open (more often,
anyway) and the politics are appealing. This includes software such
as Audacity (with all its limitations), the Gimp (instead of
photoshop), Blender and Wings3D (3D modelling apps), and I've been
looking into FOSS game engines such as Crystal Space and Irrlicht,
though haven't specifically used them yet - they'd be great for
postgrad VR projects (currently we're using the Torque game engine).
All of these apps have certain limitations as a consequence of being
non-commercial/non-proprietary - however, it is interesting how
students embrace and work around this once they are aware of what it
means - as I think they are receptive to the change from a seller/
consumer or corporation/client model to something that offers the
possibility of a participatory community (eg. as a programmer,
content developer or simply as a kind of beta-tester) - and this is
fundamental to the development and spread of FOSS.

As mentioned in previous posts - an interesting consequence of this
is a sort of testing of the permeability of institutional boundaries
- where does the institution end and public space begin?  For
instance, I'm running some postgrad programs and courseware
development environments in wikis (using MediaWiki) - which is
extremely useful. We've developed a digital repository and lecture
presentation system in Zope and Plone - and I'm very interested in
FOSS cms/lms's like Moodle and Drupal etc. All these things do
particular things very well, and other things not so well. It is an
interesting position to be in: to have a wide variety of FOSS systems
up and running, just when Unimelb is migrating from webraft (its
internally-developed cms) to Blackboard.

We have quite a number of sessional staff where I work - and an
interesting issue for them revolves around content development and
delivery of material via institutional cms's. The problem here is
that sessional staff may well develop content that can be delivered
via the cms, but what happens after/when they leave? Is it their
right to take that with them or does it remain as a legacy or
institutional memory of sorts? It is clear that one is employed by an
institution as a producer of IP and that this is shared between the
employee and the institution, but there is some question in my mind
as to what happens to content once it is "locked" within an
institution-wide cms/lms. It is far easier, in some respects, to run
your own server and take that with you when you go! After all - it
can be your box, with your content, arranged in the way you see best.
A sessional/part-time staff member may want to host material on their
own website or in their own cms, such that they can easily move from
institution to institution. Fair enough. Presumably there are also
implications for the IP of student-developed work in this permeable
domain. It's a complex argument - for a number of years I tried to
get students using blogs via blogger - but the issue struck me that
this is - arguably - a very thin point in the membrane that defines
the university/institutional boundary. What exactly is happening with
IP when you use Blogger (as opposed to running your own install of eg
Wordpress, somewhere)? I would suspect that the reason Google bought
Blogger is that it offers an extraordinary opportunity for data-
mining the zeitgeist! (an old-fashioned concept I know...but still).
In this sense one can regard intellectual output by students/staff/
institutions in these spaces as targets for commercial data-mining
(but then, I suppose anything publicly available potentially is.)

Perhaps pertinent to this discussion are initiatives such as: OKI
(open knowledge initiative: http://www.okiproject.org/),OCW (http://
ocw.mit.edu/index.html) or CGEMS (http://cgems.inesc.pt/). I'd be
interested to hear people's thoughts on these.

cheers

Peter