::fibreculture:: Re: posting guidelines

Somaya Langley SLangley at nla.gov.au
Fri Aug 26 12:37:34 EST 2005

I think there is a validity in having lists of different paces.  For my
own workflow, lists that are constantly delivering messages get filtered
into another mailbox (where I intend to read them, but rarely do).
Lists that have less traffic tend to go straight to my inbox, where they
have more chance of getting read.

For myself it's mainly a matter of information overload. In this case I
tend to think less can be more.  Plus, I have to say that working in a
library environment where there is so much information available -
especially of the digital kind - tends to push me in the direction of
searching out authoratitive/quality information over quantity.  You get
the gist...  which is why I read more FC messages than Electrofringe for
example.

Lists really reflect group dynamics between people about issues.  When
there is something relevant to get fired up about - er, like now - then
people want to have their say.  But, remembering a post a while back,
rather than contemplate what FC is all about, perhaps I should turn this
into a productive message.

So is anyone going to be at the Vital Signs conference in Melbourne?  I
think this will be a really interesting melting pot of new media arts
practitioners etc, and perhaps there we can contemplate what we are
going to do with all this information in the long term.  (Again from the
library perspective...) Is it really just ephemeral data or should it be
archived for future use?

Somaya

Somaya Langley
Digital Preservations Officer (Acting)