::fibreculture:: Re: WebCT, OpenSource and Beyond

Andrew Murphie a.murphie at unsw.edu.au
Mon Aug 29 09:51:37 EST 2005

Hi FC People,

many apologies for not acknowledging the generous response to my
question concerning WebCT vs Open Source and a very belated thanks to
everyone (Tom Worthington, Anna Munster, Doug Moncur, Adrian Miles,
Julian Knowles, Chris Chesher, Tama Leaver, Karen Woo, Hughie, Lisa
Gye, Ned Rossiter). It was indeed a generous discussion that
developed, and I learnt a great deal about what people are doing -
with some great tips about tools we might use.

As for me, I have used WebCT for years but only really the BBS. The
rest I've always done via basic web pages - and now with the addition
of blogs and wikis, which I have to confess are those that come with
OS X server, so I'm not that open source. And thanks to Julian and
others for pointing out that WebCT isn't all bad! I certainly
wouldn't suggest people shouldn't use it if that's what they find
best suited to their needs.

There are some questions that remain, however, and although I know
this discussion has perhaps ended, I thought I would throw them into
the mix - they perhaps have relevance beyond education, as the deal
with the institutional contexts for the adoption of technological
age which has suddenly become very resistant to technologies and the
shifts in knowledges and so on that they bring about - precisely
because they do challenge the nature of institutions ... in any case,
here goes. These are simple issues ..

First, my main issue wasn't with WebCT per se (although I do have
issues with it), or even with the fact that it is a proprietary
system. It was with the way in which WebCT is promoted and indeed
enforced as the one shop solution for all learning needs (and I
suspect often joyfully embraced by senior administrators who didn't
really understand networks, etc - is that being unfair?). In short, I
don't have an issue with people using WebCT but I do have one with
the "ecology" which often seems to surround it. In this, everyone is
told they have to use WebCT, or at least that this is the system the
institution supports, trains, gives permission to  (literally), etc.
It becomes a substitute for innovative uses of online technologies -
as many of us know, it's actually very difficult to get these up and
running in many institutions (as many of us know, the answer is
always, why don't you just use WebCT, even when it doesn't do what
you want).  On the other hand, as many people have demonstrated,
there are institutions where people are doing innovative things, and
it would be great to hear more about the institutional contexts of
support for such innovation.

Secondly, I guess I think this is even more problematic when one
considers WebCT's history. In an era in which we are supposed to be
teaching - and learning - information and network literacies, WebCT's
history seems to have been one of a package made precisely so that
you don't have to confront fairly standard regular information and
network literacy issues front on. I know that it is now much more
flexible (and has incorporated html etc) but there's something about
the structure of WebCT that says "early adoption of educational
technologies for those of us that really didn't know much about
them" (not that there's anything wrong with that - I'm certainly no
tech savant myself like some on this list!).. . again I should
emphasise that the problem isn't WebCT so much as the baggage that
surrounds it.

Which brings me to the third point, which is that WebCT is a closed
system - I know it opens to the Web if you want, but it starts as a
closed environment .. that's not always bad I guess I think one
learns heaps from just being there in the first place... naive
perhaps ...

that's before you get to proprietary issues but we've been there ...

best regards and thanks again,
Andrew