[tof] AFC strand O may be axed!!

tof at lists.culture2.org tof at lists.culture2.org
Tue Apr 26 07:18:26 EST 2005

Hi All,

I'm concerned that strand O money is to be siphoned off to this new
Documentary Interactive Digital Production Program. I know there is an
argument that FFC Innovation Fund may have replaced the need for Strand O,
however I am not convinced that the same criteria of innovation (in the way
the AFC understand them)  are actually used to select FFC projects. A film
like Jade Babe would never have been funded by the FFC.  There is of course
a different argument which can be put that strand O should be re-allocated
towards strand N (Documentary Production).  This makes some sense given that
there are many worthy first time projects that never get up because funds in
this strand are so scarce.  I think we should argue that an Documentary
Interactive Digital Production Program be allocated funds from other
resources within the AFC - especially given that all the extra AFC funds
allocated in the last Federal budget went to drama, and not a cent to
documentary.

What do people think? AFC wants feedback this week.

Tom Z

See below AFC draft guidelines:

Strand O

Some outstanding interactive documentaries by skilful documentary
practitioners have been produced by two one-off initiatives - the AFC/ABC
Documentaries Online and the recent Broadband Production Initiative.
Funding for these one-off initiatives is now finished.  It is vital the AFC
continue to support creative work exploring technological innovation in this
rapidly evolving field.

Funds from Strand O will be redirected next year toward a new Documentary
Interactive Digital Production program, to be announced in the new financial
year.