[tof] AIDC, ASPERA and OZDOX

tof at lists.culture2.org tof at lists.culture2.org
Tue Aug 2 16:44:48 EST 2005

Hi all,

Steve Thomas and Marsha Emerman are the academic reps on the AIDC 2006 Local
Management Committee.
It would be fantastic if communication and contributions went through them.

Last year the academic participation in the AIDC program was co ordinated by
Alison Wotherspoon who I worked with over the year before the conference,
and this year I will be working with Steve and Marsha to co ordinate both
academic participation on panels and in the call for academic papers. It is
hard to find the perfect way to present all the different elements of the
AIDC, but I am always open to discussion about ways to improve the juggle.
One thing we have introduced for 2006 is the online Session submission. -
All people are invited to submit session ideas through our website, and this
invitation is of course extended to academics as well. But please note the
deadline is Oct 4. No late submissions can be accepted.

Beyond participating in the usual sessions, there will also be a 'call for
papers' going out. At this point the call for papers on our website is
simply as "coming soon"
http://www.aidc.com.au/program/callforacademicpapers.html

Last year, a group of academics around the country drafted a call for
academic papers with Alison coordinating this - and there were 14 people
selected to present in the academic papers sessions in the conference. (they
were all on the Monday)

Below I have pasted the wording of the call for papers that was sent out for
2005 - The one for 2006 will be getting put together soon, so please be in
touch with me, Steve Thomas and Marsha Emerman with suggestions.

Thanks,

Heather Croall

BELOW IS THE 2005 CALL FOR ACADEMIC PAPERS - NOT THE 2006 CALL (that will go
out in early september)

Common Ground New Horizons: New formats/ New theories / New storytellers -
looking to the past and the future.

The AIDC 2005 Academic Day will focus on the theoretical and pedagogical
challenges facing documentary theorists, practitioners and educators. As
documentary continues to expand, develop and change we need new theoretical
frameworks to understand this new documentary disposition. Do we also need
new teaching methods to prepare the documentary makers of the future?

In view of this we invite papers to address and discuss the following issues
-

*	How is documentary changing?

*	What is new about these new styles, forms and modes of
communication?

*	Do we need to re-define the boundaries of what documentary is and
can be?

*	How are we engaging with these new forms and where are we watching
documentary?

*	Old is new - why are feature length documentaries doing so well on
the theatrical circuit, matched by the high audiences watching new factual
formats

*	How important is the history of documentary to these conversations
about the new

*	What do we teach our student documentary makers and how does it
support their needs in this century

*	Life after film school - what happens to the emerging documentary
makers we are training?

*	What sort of questions should we be asking? How should we go about
researching these developments

We welcome papers and commentary that address these questions, as opening
further the debate about the current state of documentary in Australia.

Abstracts of up to 500 words can be sent to:

Thanks

Heather

  _____